According to the Texas 4-H Youth Development Office:
The Shooting Sports Project is a comprehensive introduction to shooting sports safety and the fundamentals of shooting disciplines including: archery, pistol, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloading, and hunting. Youth may participate in one or more of the listed disciplines, however, all disciplines may not be offered in every county. The project concentrates on a strong youth development approach based upon long-term mentorship. Also offered are district and state-wide family involvement activities, events, and programs for youth of all ages and adults.
For more information about 4-H Shooting Sports at the state level, visit: www.texas4-h.tamu.edu/shootingsports
Gillespie County Shooting Sports
4-H members gain skills in safety, marksmanship, accuracy, and self-confidence. All Shooting Sports Volunteer Leaders must attend a state-wide certification training to be a leader.
Orientation meeting held in January of each year to set up practice scheduled. All participants must enroll in 4-H online through 4-H Connect. Click here to access 4-H Connect.
BB Gun Project:
- Orientation held in January
- Meet once a week for 6 weeks
- County Match held end of February/beginning of March
- State Match held in March or April
- National Match held July
- BB guns are provided by 4-H or you may purchase your own
- Contests include a test, shooting from prone, sitting, kneeling and standing positions
- Must participate in all practices to be eligible
- County contest age: 1st grade-15 yrs. of age
- State & National contest age: 9-15 years
- All participants are taught fun safety rules; these rules are strictly enforced
- Eye protection will need to be purchased
- Fredericksburg – Sammy Segner, Neal & Davene Nebgen, Shea Nebgen
- Harper – Steve Inmon
- Sign up: January 30th—March 17th, 2017
- Practices will start the week of April 3rd and will end the week of May 11th
- April 29th – 4H Outdoor Day @ Bow Pro’s – special event for youth participating in the archery project with a 3D competition and clout
- May 13th – County Match
- Cost: $50.00/person with personal bow; $100.00/person if borrowing a bow (only cash and check payments can be accepted)
- Cost will be a $100.00 flat flee if registering after March 17th
- Location: Sign up at Gillespie County Extension Office
- Ages: 3rd grade (9 yrs. old) through 12th grade
Fredericksburg practices will be held at Bow Pros (10046 Hwy. 290 towards Stonewall) and there will be 15 spots for a practice in Harper. Participants will learn safety, stance & posture, hand-grip, how to place the arrow, aim, draw, and release the arrow. Enrollment in 4-H is a requirement to participate.
If you have questions about what type of bows will be used, how practices will be conducted, or what will be taught, please contact the project leaders Mr. James Neutze at 830-456-2725 or Jody Geistweidt at 830-329-4743.
It should also be noted that participants in the 4-H archery project will receive discounts when registering for events through the Fredericksburg Archery Club. To see the upcoming events that the Fredericksburg Archery Club is putting on, please visit their website at http://www.fredericksburgarcheryclub.com/ or visit their Facebook page “Fredericksburg Archery Club”.
4-H Archery Contests Outside of Gillespie County
Cooke County 4-H 3-D Archery Tournament
- When: May 27, 2017
- Where: Gainesville, TX
- 2017 Cooke County 3D Archery Tournament Info (pdf)
Callahan County Archery Shoot
- When: June 3, 2017
- Where: Callahan County – near the Abilene, Clyde, Baird area
- 2017 Callahan County Archery Match Event Flyer
Lone Wolf 4-H Archery 3D / Modified 600 Tournament
- When: June 10, 2017
- Where: Colorado City, TX
- 2017 Lone Wolf Archery Tournament Event Flyer